UFO Digital Cinema System Highlights
UFO-M4 is our satellite-based, E-Cinema movie delivery platform. “E-Cinema” is a commonly used term to describe various technologies used to digitally deliver movie content other than through D-Cinema. Our UFO-M4 platform provides an end-to-end platform for the satellite delivery of movies (excluding movies from the major Hollywood studios that created the D-Cinema standard format), to exhibitors across India, which then exhibit our movies using our digital cinema equipment.
Satellite Based Delivery: MPEG4 format- due to our encoding software, which has algorithms that filter and improve on video compression and image quality, we are able to convert a full length movie into a relatively small (8 to 10 gigabyte) computer file, which is suitable for satellite distribution.
Strong encryption: Follows 192 bit encryption. – All content is encrypted using Rijndael Algorithm (the algorithm used by industry standard Advanced Encryption Standard - (AES) encryption) with 192 bit key length. Without the correct decryption keys content is not playable. The decryption keys shared using with target devices using 1024 bit RSA key pairs making the content very secure.
Scalable: Our UFO-M4 platform has been proven to be scalable, growing in India from 1,817 screens as at March 31, 2010 to 3,482 screens as at October 31, 2014.
Robust: From the beginning of fiscal 2013 until October 2014, our network has had a 99.9% uptime levels (which is the amount of time our network has been operational compared to the total time our network has been in operation).
Live capability: A platform enabled for live events – showcased live cricket matches in 2D and 3D.
Multilingual capabilities: Ability to download multilingual films in an efficient manner.
1. Cost of creating digital prints reduced substantially: Media reports suggest that the cost of creating a digital print is less than one fifth of the cost of creating an analogue print.
2. Compact prints: Digital prints typically are stored on hard discs which are much more compact than reels.
3. Limitations on the number of prints released removed: Lower cost of digital prints has enabled
distributors to release a much higher number of prints thereby improving their reach considerably.
4. Simultaneous release in theatres across the country enabled: The lower cost of creating digital prints and their compact size has also aided distributors to release movies across the country in the first week of release itself.
5. Simultaneous release across geographies ensured higher revenue collections: Wider reach due to the release of movies in theatres across the country has ensured that the film did not lose out on revenues from small towns or due to piracy.
6. It also ensured higher occupancies across theatres: Since movies can be released in all geographies simultaneously while public interest in the movie is at its peak, more and more people have started visiting theatres to watch movies rather than rely on pirated copies resulting in better occupancies.
7. Encryption ensures safety of content: Digitizing movies involves encryption of the data so that it is safeguarded from unauthorized dissemination. This ensures the safety of film content from piracy.
8. Lower costs and better reach aids niche cinema/ small budget movies: Earlier low budget movies or niche content movies used to be released only in a limited number of screens due to the prohibitive cost of analogue prints. With digitization, these movies can be released across theatres and reach out to a wider audience.
9. Improved quality of picture: Digital prints have a better picture quality and viewing experience than analogue prints.
10. Increased potential for in-cinema advertisement: Due to the low cost involved in distributing
advertisements via the digital medium, in-cinema advertising is expected to grow contributing to
increase in revenues to exhibitors.
UFO Moviez provides the stakeholders with an unmatched security program, which is
unrivalled in the filmed entertainment industry today. These features are full-proof
and complementary to each other so that one can rest assured that the content is
Dedicated Media Centre
UFO has a dedicated content processing lab for conversion of D5 tapes to digital
files. The processing lab is equipped with bio-metric access control systems which
allow access to only authorized personnel after cross referring their finger prints.
This lab does not have any access to outside network. For example, there is no internet
and email access inside lab.
Proprietary Encryption Technology
UFO uses 192 bit AES encryption while digitizing the film which uses frame to frame
encryption. Normally 128 bit AES encryption is made more robust by using more number
of bits. The encrypted content can be decrypted only with the license key.
License to play the film is delivered onto smart cards / e-token via DVB link to
the exhibitors. This ensures that no unauthorized person has access to the codes
to play the film. In a similar manner a license can be revoked also at the instruction
of the distributor / producer. License is usable as per the validity duration mentioned
in it. It also has the facility to put the control on number of shows to be played
and is accessible only if the valid license is available for the playback.
Once the movie in its encrypted format is stored in the server at the theatre, there
is water-marking and finger-printing embedded. This feature is extremely useful
to find out the source if a show is misused such as for making pirated DVDs.